SENCO and SEN Staff
Our SENDCO is Mrs Harrison who was appointed SENDO in September 2019. The role of the SENDCO supports all families in the transition for all SEND pupils working closely with multi-agencies and partnerships to ensure that their learning journey is a happy and successful one.
More details of the SENDCO’s role can be found in the SEN Policy, which you can find in the School Policies section of our website.
At Yohden Primary School we are dedicated to Continuous Professional Development (CPD). We regularly send staff on training and provide them with opportunities to develop their knowledge, skills, understanding and pedagogy. Some of our staff development has included:
- Child Protection
- First Aid
- Team teach
- Speech and Language training – understanding vocabulary
- Anti Bullying training
- ASD support/training
- fundamental Movement Skills
- Sensory needs
- Zones of Regulation
- Precision Teaching
- Alphabet Arc
- Pathological Avoidance Disorder Training
- Low Level Behaviour
External Specialists and Other Bodies
The school enjoys good working relationships with a wide range of people who provide services to children with SEND and their families, particularly when a child is demonstrating further cause for concern or their learning need is more complex and persistent.
At Yohden Primary School, we work closely with the following professionals in order to provide the highest level of support for pupils with SEND.
The external specialists may:
- Act in an advisory capacity
- Extend expertise of school staff
- Provide additional assessment
- Support a child directly
- Suggest statutory assessment is advisable
- Consult with all parties involved with the child
- County Durham Local Offer
- Durham SEND Information, Advice and Support Service
- Durham Educational Psychology Service
- One Point Children’s Service
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAHMS)
- Educational Social Workers
- Health Agencies. Particularly the School Nurse service
- Special Educational Needs – Inclusion Team
- Looked After Children Team
- Medical Practitioners
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech and Language Therapists
How We Secure Specialist Expertise
Our Additional Needs Budget is used to support children and young people with SEND.
This is used to support children and young people with SEND.
If a child has complex special educational needs, we could also receive additional funding from the Local Authority to meet the agreed outcomes